Sunday 15 February 2015

An insight into my research for the Black Rose series #2 - Hell

So, in continuing in what I hope is an enjoyable insight into the mind of a writer, here are my thoughts and decisions behind the underworld I created for Cate and her dark brood. I think most people think of Hell and fire, dungeons and torture chambers immediately spring to mind.
My Hell had to have these, of course, but I also decided that it needed to be a home. I wanted rooms and beds, clothes and jewels - not just flames and thrones.
In my series, human beings move on after a life on Earth of free will only to then find themselves eternal slaves to either Heaven or Hell. To advance in either realm they must give themselves over fully to their masters, and prove themselves worthy. Once evil souls progress, I decided that they could then be chosen to become demons or other dark beings.
I added some other small details to my vision of Hell, such as there not being any air to breathe or the ability to have food, which would decay and rot within seconds. My idea was of stifling heat and pressure, all the things that would emphasise the idea of a prison for the mind, body and soul. It is a place that captures every one of the characters senses as well as their bodies. No matter how big the realm might be, and how lavish Cate and her dark family might live, they are slaves to the higher power and the darkness that they have encompassed and serve. That theme remains throughout my series, along with the all important idea of balance.

With all those things in mind, I quickly came up with the idea of a huge city in the centre of the hellish realm. That city would be built around the vast citadel, known as the Dark Castle. In my mind, this one magnificent building sits amongst basic houses and walkways. Only upper-level demons and witches are allowed inside, and some are even permitted to live there when they progress higher. Of course, the dark royalty have a vast wing all of their own, lavishly created and full of every decadence they might want.

Having lived in Europe for years, I can't tell you how many times I've peered up at the gothic architecture we are blessed with having on our doorstep. My absolute inspiration for the Dark Castle was Cologne Cathedral (aka KΓΆln Dom.) If you ever visit Cologne, you cannot miss the dark-bricked,  intense and ominous structure in the centre of the city. It's beautiful and thought-provoking, but to me it has always seemed powerful and even a little sinister. I love the almost blackened brick and pointed edges, go check it out for yourself, and you'll see exactly what I mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne_Cathedral

I think that just about wraps up this post, I hope you've enjoyed a 'behind the scenes' view of my dark world and its creation. I cannot deny, I'm really enjoying looking back on what has undoubtedly been the most amazing journey of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment