Thursday 20 August 2015

Let's finally discuss the incest! Warning, contains big SPOILERS!

I've been told off yet again about the tougher parts of my first story by a reader who not only was presented with a very long disclaimer at the start of the book and the blurb regarding the dark content, but also other reviews stating how taboo/controversial the subject matter is in Embracing the Darkness, and the Black Rose series as a whole. I'm getting kinda tired of explaining myself over and over again, and shall now be directing upset readers to this blog post!

I warn you now, if you carry on there are not only spoilers for the first Black Rose novel, but in fact the entire series. I am going to give away part of A Light in the Darkness, so click away now if you do not want to know or would prefer to actually experience the many twists and turns I love to throw at faithful readers by reading them for yourself.

You have been warned ;-)

Carry on at your peril.....

Ok, so you are all sure you want this? Let's do it!

Yes, my first novel contains not one, not two, but actually three apparently incestuous relationships. I do not agree with them, but my story demanded it, and there is no trying to change things now. No, I do not have daddy issues, nor do I find it hot to get forced into a relationship with your father - hence the fact that (I'll say again - SPOILER) Cate and Lucifer do not stay together. They are not and never were intended to be a long-standing couple, only the start of the story from an explosive storyline. Their relationship brings about the presence of not only their children (yeah ok, I know it seems weird but bear with me) but also the other stories in the series. The first book lays the foundation for all the others, and the demise of the Cate/Lucifer relationship is also the fundamental push Cate finally needs to take charge of her life and eventually the throne.
A revelation from Lucifer in book five then reveals that Cate and Devin are not actually his children, but his sires. He isn't their father at all, more of a demonic blood donor who gave them their powers directly from the source while in the womb, hence their heightened strengths and powers etc. In the end you discover that Lucifer's only real children are Blake and Luna.

So....no incest...ok?

Boom! Did I just blow your mind there? Are we clearer yet? It's a dark and powerful story, and has very taboo themes. Please do not question my sanity or judge me by this one plot point instead of simply taking a breath and carrying on with the story. Can we all please move on and agree that while I did an apparently amazing job of convincing people the devil seduced his daughter, it isn't actually the case in the long-run? There are much darker elements to the stories than the incest, and yet it's the one subject that really seems to stick with many of the readers.

I adore this little series of mine, and while I know controversy is a great way to get noticed, I would like to set the record straight once and for all. It's a tale I wove one day and decided to tell the world. It is to be enjoyed and treated as a world in which we can escape to for some fun, frolics and yes, fucking. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I love you readers, and want you to stay with me instead of putting the book away in the DNF pile. Please, read it to the end and see for yourself how it turns out.

Love and virtual hugs to each and every one of you. Am I forgiven yet? ;-) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment