Monday 2 December 2013

Romance vs Erotica?

I've been wondering, where is the line between romance and erotic fiction? I want to write romantic fiction, but does that mean I can only write about the build up to the sexual parts, and then full stop, next chapter? I wouldn't deem my writing as erotic either because i do not have the imagination for the deep, sordid details, and i have to admit i just love the fantasy of the act rather than to add too many intricate, sexual details. I enjoy the lure, the seduction and the build up as well as writing about the act itself and the afterglow.  
When I am writing, I imagine the characters completely, their bodies and their reactions to one another as though it is happening to me, resulting in many a sordid thought or two and can be guilty of wanting to let off some steam after writing a particularly sexy part of my books, but can't we all be guilty of doing that after reading sex scenes in modern romance books? 
In this day and age thanks to EL James and Sylvia Day, the romance genre is much more used to the finer details, the darker, wilder elements of our sexual experimentations and fantasies, and I think it is better for it.
Perhaps my questions won't be answered, perhaps the readers will be the ones who decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment